Future Doctors and Scientists Camp at Appalachian State University
This residential camp includes 5 days of clinical skills and/or 2.5 weeks of intense research in a biomedical laboratory with experienced national and international medical doctors and researchers! International guest speakers will also add a Global Perspective to the Program.
Appalachian State University partners with an internationally renowned organization, the Apprentice Doctor, in hosting the clinical skills program.
CLINICAL SKILLS AND/OR BIOMEDICAL RESEARCH EXCELLENCE!
This is very much the Ultimate Summer Program for high school students and pre-college freshman who are absolutely certain that they want to become medical professionals or biomedical researchers or physician-scientists!
Program Type: Medical – Residential Academic
Clinical Skills: July 5-10, 2018 (No classes on Saturday the 8th)
Research: July 11-27, 2018 (No classes on weekends)
Application deadline: May 31, 2018
Fee: Inclusive (tuition, accommodation, and meals)
Eligibility: High School Students (9th – 12th + pre-college freshman) who have had Biology and Chemistry coursework.
4-5 DAYS OF CLINICAL SKILLS
- Medical history
- Basic principles
- Learn to Suture wounds
- Venipuncture and phlebotomy simulation
- Hand hygiene workshop
- Scrub for surgery
- Pulse Oximetry
- Blood pressure
- Heart sounds, EKG and heart rate
- Case studies
- Gain dozens of medical and surgical skills!
2.5 WEEKS OF MEDICAL RESEARCH:
- Introduction to the research lab
- Research methodology
- Literature search and review
- Authentic scientific research in the lab
- Writing a scientific report- Discussion and References
- Field trip: Wake Forest University Regenerative Medicine, Winston Salem, NC
- Field trip to David Murdock Research Institute in Kannapolis, NC
- Learn all about the practical applications of cloning and growing tissue and organs in the labs to replace missing tissue/organs of patients
- Students will present their research on the final day of the program