The Future Doctors Academy’s Online, Virtual and Distance Learning Hands-on Medical and Surgical Skills Summer 2021 Program
If you want to become a great medical professional – do not miss this for anything!
◊ Eight full days of pure medical immersion!
◊ The 2020 Program’s over-all satisfaction rating was 9.24 (on a scale of 1-10)!
Attention all aspiring future medical professionals in Grade 11, 12, as well as premed students
A unique, life-changing, hands-on, medical immersion experience – carefully designed for Distance Learning
Gain well over 50 medical and surgical skills – skills that doctors and surgeons use daily
Medical examination skills
Acquire surgical knot-tying skills
Gain and perfect your suturing skills
Presented by: The Apprentice Corporation (Apprentice Doctor®) in association with the BEST Academy, Tampa FL
Region/Time zone: USA and Canada – Eastern Standard Time (EST: Live and PST: Video recordings)
Setting: At home or in small groups at informal venues (*Covid19 directives apply)
Type: A combination of Virtual Interactive Lectures and Synchronized Online Distance Learning
Classification: Accredited Medical and Surgical Skills Program
Dates: July 5 – 14, 2021
Booking status: Accepting registrations from early in March 2021
Registrations close: June 12, 2021
Eligibility: Aspiring medical professional students in grade 10 to 12 and premed students – years 1-4
Program fee: $595 (payable no later than June 15, 2021)
Early Bird fee: $495 ($100 discount if program fee is settled on or before 31 May 2021)
The fee includes the following:
The For Future Doctors Course and Medical Kit as well as other medical items.
- A professional medical-grade FDA-approved finger Pulse Oximeter
- The acclaimed Apprentice Doctor® Suture Training Kit
4. Access to the accredited Future Doctor Academy Online Course material:
- Foundation Medical
- Surgical Knot tying and Suturing
- Pulse Oximetry
5. Tuition (The Future Doctors Academy Foundation Course): Eight days full of medical tuition, lectures by many practicing medical professionals in a spectrum of medical professions. The program includes multiple practical sessions and workshops.
6. The Future Doctors Academy’s accredited certificate.
Note: students who have their own Future Doctors Kits qualify for a discount to the equivalent value of the kit/s.
The Apprentice Doctor® Presents the Ultimate, Accredited Premedical Programs/Workshops.
Do Not Miss This for Anything!
The objectives of the Apprentice Doctor® Foundation Medical Course are to equip students:
Perform > 50 fun Practical Projects at home and gain dozens of medical skills!
The Future Doctors Academy Foundation Medical Course and associated Apprentice Doctor® Medical Kit:
- Offer a glimpse into the fascinating world of medicine.
- Promote the concept of taking responsibility for one’s health.
- It may very well lead to choosing a fulfilling career in one of the numerous fields of modern medicine.
After completing The Future Doctors Academy Foundation Medical Course, students should have a good understanding of:
- An understanding of medical ethics
- The importance of taking a thorough medical history
- The basic principles of conducting a medical examination
- An understanding of how to use several medical instruments and items
- The basic human anatomy and physiology of the eleven bodily systems
- The systematic approach in diagnosing diseases
- The meaning of multiple medical terms (medical terminology)
- Various careers in medicine and healthcare
In addition to this, the student will have the following healthcare/medical skills:
- Hand washing
- Applying alcohol hand-rub
- Donning and doffing gloves
Distinguish between normal and abnormal bodily sounds
- Heart sounds
- Gastro-intestinal sounds
- Respiratory sounds
- Joint sounds
The student will be able to assess a patient’s vitals
- Heat rate
- Body temperature
- Respiratory rate
- Blood pressure
The student will be able to examine various bodily parts
- The eye
- The ear
- The skin, hair, and nails
- The mouth
The student will be able to elicit neurological reflexes
- The Patellar Reflex
- The Babinski reflex
- The Pupil-light reflex
Other medical skills (perform and interpret)
- Pulse Oximetry
The student will have a working understanding of the following topics
- The body’s water balance
- The basic principles of airway management
- Emergency medicine and trauma
- Burn injuries
- Growths (tumors)
- Several metabolic diseases
- Many infectious diseases
The objective of the Apprentice Doctor® Suturing Course is to equip students:
- With the skills to confidently tie surgical knots
- Various techniques for suturing lacerations
- A basic understanding of the theory of wound closure and wound care
The student should, on completion of this course, have a good understanding of:
- The basic principles of wound care
- Knot tying techniques (as related to knots used in surgery)
- Surgical instruments used in suturing
- Suture materials
- The various suturing techniques used by medical professionals to close lacerations
- Suturing complications and how to rectify these
The student should have the following skills:
- Tying a square knot (two-hand tie, one-hand tie, and instrument tie)
- Tying a surgeon’s knot (one-hand tie and instrument tie)
- Placing sub-cutaneous sutures
- Placing interrupted sutures
- Placing a variety of mattress sutures
- Using several other types of suturing techniques
- Correcting minor discrepancies while suturing
- Removing sutures
Proposed program schedule:
Successful candidates will receive a letter of acceptance per email – as per application form
Settle the program fee here (full fee: $595; early bird offer: $495 expires 31 May 2021):
Settle Program fees here – to follow
The relevant conference Zoom and Course links will follow closer to the program date via email
Students proudly showing their Future Doctors Academy certificates!
Meet your Future Doctor Academy 2021 Online Program Team:
|Dr. Anton Scheepers
Your international program host
Experienced O&MF Surgeon
Director of the Future Doctors Academy
|Prof. Chishimba Nathan Mowa BVM, MVM, PhD
Acting Dean of the Future Doctors Academy
ASU, Boone, NC
| Dr. Dexter Frederick MD
Director of the B.E.S.T. Academy
|Mrs. Donna Burton
And many more to be announced in due course!
Accreditation, associations, and endorsements
- Under the umbrella of the Solid Rock Virtual School, Tarpon Springs, FL, the Foundation Medical Course is accredited:
- The National Private Schools Accreditation Alliance (NPSAA)
- The National Association of Private Schools (NAPS)
- The Florida Coalition of Christian Private Schools Association (FCCPSA)
- The Apprentice Corporation is a member of IELA (The International E-Learning Association)
The Apprentice Corp is associated with high profile organizations in the field of medical training:
- Envision Experience – Several Course/Kit Combinations
- Project Lead the Way (PLTW) – Apprentice Doctor® Stop the Bleed Course and Kit
- Hippocrates Circle – Kaiser Permanente – Apprentice Doctor® Foundation Medical Course and Kit
- BEST Academy Tampa, FL – Several Apprentice Doctor® Courses, Kits and Camps
- Texas A & M University – Apprentice Doctor® Medical Chapter
- Study-hub London, UK – Apprentice Doctor® Suture Course and Kit
- Many other Organizations, Medical, Vet, Dentistry PA and Nursing Schools
International Apprentice Doctor® or associated programs:
- USA – Baltimore MD: The Envision Advanced Medical Program 2017, 2018 and 2019
- USA – Tampa FL: The BE.S.T. Academy Future Doctors Program 2010 – 2019
- USA – Boone NC: The Appalachian State University Program 2015 – 2019
- Australia – Perth WA: The Scitech Future Doctors Program 2017 and 2018
- USA – EST-zone: Future Medical Professionals 8-day Distance Learning Program August 2020
- Bulgaria Sofia: Medipath International Emergency Med Symposium 2020 October 2020
- Johannesburg – South Africa: Multiple yearly programs (2010 – 2021)
- Other programs: Durham, Duke University, NC, Pretoria South Africa, Newark NJ to name just a few…
The Apprentice Corporation – leaders in medical education since 2002
Apprentice Doctor®: A positive influence in the lives of future medical professionals
Envision: Turning students’ career and life aspirations into reality
Frequently asked questions:
|I am in grade 11, and I am interested in becoming a PA (physician’s assistant). Is this something I can do?
Absolutely – any high school student in grades 10-12, college, and university students aiming at any medical or nursing professional career may apply.
|As it is essentially a medical skills program – how will I practice these skills at home?
The course is structured, and icons will indicate practical projects suitable for self-examination and projects where students will need a test subject. The test subject can be a family member (a mother, father, brother, sister, or friend). In an academic setting, it can be a fellow student. The supervision of a responsible adult (parent, guardian, or teacher) is essential in all cases where a minor is part of this program or where a minor function as a test subject. No exceptions!
|How will I be able to practice clinical skills as I don’t have a stethoscope?
Students will receive the Apprentice Doctor® Medical Set/Kit – containing all the instruments and items required for completing the Future Doctors Academy Foundation Course.
|Will I work on my own, or will there be lectures all the time?
Registered students will interact with guiding medical professionals for approximately 45 minutes in the morning and 45 minutes in the afternoon. For the balance of the program days, students will study the online course material and practice their clinical skills on their own – occasionally using family members or friends as patients for practicing examining skills.
|Will this open the doors to medical school for me?
There are many requirements needed for successfully applying to medical schools – like good academic grades, good MCAT score, etc. Adding the Future Doctors academy Certificate to your resume should add value of sorts. Kindly note that the Apprentice Corporation does not have any special arrangements with any individual medical schools. We under no circumstances can guarantee (or imply) that this course certificate will ensure success regarding an individual’s application to attend any educational institution’s program.
|I am in year 2 of my degree as a premed student. Can I apply?
Yes, indeed – if you want to gain clinical medical skills and gain medical insight, this course is for you.
Terms and conditions:
Important: The selection of individual students is solely based on the Apprentice Doctor® or person/s appointed by the Apprentice Doctor® to select applicants. The decision regarding the selection or rejection of specific applicants is final, and no discussion will be accepted/entertained in this regard.
As the Apprentice Doctor® – Future Doctors Programs are top-rated and oversubscribed – we accept a limited number of applications, and regretfully, even some great applications could very well be in the not-accepted category.
Cancellations: Cancellations six weeks or more before the program’s starting date qualifies for a full refund, less the registration fee of $75. Cancellations 4-6 weeks before the starting date – 66.7% refund and cancellations less than 14 days before the start of the program – no refund (judgment of the organizers will apply in severe illness and death cases in the family).
See you in July 2021 – looking forward! Dr. Anton Scheepers and Team
*Masks mandatory, relevant questionnaire and hand sanitizing on arrival, social distancing and other relevant state directives apply.