Nurses in the OR
Our podcast today is with Cindy McPhee, RN. Cindy McPhee has been a registered nurse for over 33 years. She attended Youngstown State University and graduated with an associate degree in registered nursing. After passing the NCLEX-RN, she began working as an OR nurse. In her career, Cindy trained as a Circulating Nurse, Scrub Nurse, and First Assistant.
In her interview today Cindy answers questions about her OR experience and also explains the role of registered nurses (RNs) and licensed practical nurses (LPNs) in the operating room.
Cindy’s responses to our questions provide insight on the following topics:
- The courses involved in training for the operating room.
- How experience could be gained.
- The responsibilities of an RN or LPN in the operating room.
- The difference between a scrub nurse and a circulating nurse.
- The types of surgeries an OR nurse might participate in.
- What they don’t show on television.
- What school may not prepare an OR nurse for.
- The best nursing degree to obtain if you want to work in the OR.
If you prefer to read the transcript, click here.
Cindy mentions LPNs, RNs, and surgical technologists as part of various surgical teams. If you’d like to learn more about any of those careers, check out the following articles:
- “So You Want to Become a Nurse”
- Associate Degree versus a Bachelor Degree in Registered Nursing
- Becoming a Certified Surgical Technologist
- Becoming a Certified Surgical First Assistant
Start learning medical skills today!
Interested in becoming a healthcare professional – nurse, surgical technologist or perhaps a surgeon? Learn, enhance or perfect your skills with one of these kits.
The Apprentice Doctor® Phlebotomy Course and Kit is the resource that will teach you How to confidently perform phlebotomy procedures in a couple of hours! If you want to become a great medical professional – why not learn how perform venipuncture procedures now?
The Apprentice Doctor® Academy has also developed and perfected an Online Course for Future Doctors to assist then towards fulfilling their dreams of becoming great medical professionals. The For Future Doctors Foundation Medical Online Course with accompanying Medical Kit has helped launch the career of thousands of want-to-be doctors!