The objectives of the course are to assist students in mastering the basic injection, phlebotomy & IV skills. The course also covers topics such as collecting various samples for the laboratory, donating blood, injecting local anesthetics.
Become an expert in venipuncture and intravenous (IV) techniques before being exposed to a real-life situation.
Follow along through detailed video clips and use the instruments included in the trainer kit to practice phlebotomy. Master setting up an IV-line, basic injection techniques, properly collecting samples for laboratory testing, drawing blood, injecting local anesthetics, and much more.
The course gives you the opportunity to perfect skills that virtually all medical professionals need to know and get it 100% right without having to risk working on a real patient or end up looking incompetent in front of colleagues.
On completion of the phlebotomy and IV skills course, students should have gained:
The following skills:
- Collecting capillary blood
- Drawing venous blood (various techniques)
- Drawing arterial blood
- Giving a subcutaneous injection
- Giving an intramuscular injection
- You will receive basic information regarding other specimens (excluding blood) received by the medical technology lab (e.g. urine, sputum, & pus)
- You will understand how to deal with common and uncommon complications of venipuncture
An understanding of:
- The importance of taking a medical history before performing any invasive procedures
- The importance of adhering to basic principles of sterility & asepsis
- The items used to perform a venipuncture procedure & putting up an IV line
- The basic principles of venipuncture
- The basic principles of putting up an IV line
- Various techniques of drawing venous, arterial, & capillary blood.
- Various types of injections (e.g. local & regional anesthetic injections)