The 2017 B.E.S.T. – Future Doctors Program in Tarpon Springs FL, USA!
Camp Type: Day program – Medical Skills
Camp Classification: Accredited Medical and Surgical Skills Camp
Camp Venue: Florida Hospital North Pinellas
Dates: June 27 to July 1 , 2016
Booking status: REGISTRATIONS OPEN!
Closing date for registrations: May 1, 2017
Eligibility: High School Students (10th – 12th) from the wider Tampa/St Petersburg FL area
The 2017 Tampa Apprentice Doctor® Program is administered by the B.E.S.T. Academy
To all prospective medical professionals in grade 10 to 12: Come and enjoy a week dedicated to your future career in medicine – learning and doing a large variety of medical things using the accredited and acclaimed Apprentice Doctor Course material.
Medical students of the University of South Florida (USF) Medical School will assist in workshops and give you advice on how to succeed!
Real hands-on medical skills practical workshops:
- Workshop 1: Hands Hygiene in a Clinical Setting
- Workshop 2: How to Scrub for Surgery
- Workshop 3: How to Draw Blood and set-up an IV Line
- Workshop 4: Heart Sounds, Oximetry and Heart Rate
- Workshop 5: Suturing Workshop How to Tie Surgical Knots and Suture Wounds
- Workshop 6: Airway management – using mannequins
- Other Workshops: Many other Interesting Practicals
10 reasons why you should attend The Apprentice Doctor’s Pre Medical Camp:
- A week of medical immersion is sure to impress any pre medical program/medical school selection committee
- Prepare yourself with numerous clinical skills
- Learn “How to Suture a Wound” the same training that numerous medical students are getting
- Visit a Simulation Lab and get a hands-on experience
- Add an accredited Apprentice Doctor® certificate to your resume
- Get High School premedical academic credits
- Meet like minded students and exchange ideas and information
- Get the opportunity to start an Apprentice Doctor Chapter or Club at your school
- You will be able to scrub up for surgery – making a visit to the O.R. a more meaningful experience
- Get emergency medicine training
The Camp program
At camp you will
- Learn how to perform 20 of the most common healthcare skills that doctors use on a daily basis via multiple practical workshops.
- Take part in a bodily sounds workshop – including understanding the difference between normal heart sounds and heart murmurs.
- Learn how to care for wounds and how to suture wounds like a surgeon.
- Learn the basic principles of pulse oximetry. A real medical Finger Pulse Oximeter is included.
- Take part in a emergency medicine practical session.
- Be in a Scrubs Workshop, where you will learn the basic principles of sterility, asepsis and scrubbing, and where you will ‘glove and gown’ like a real surgeon!
- Real patient case studies with in depth discussions.
- Complete one session on the strategic planning of your life with “Jump-start Your Life.” This is absolutely essential information that is invaluable in order to succeed in such a demanding career!
- Jump-start your career with The Apprentice Doctor® Medical Course – one of the best tools available to launch a career as a medical professional!
- Learn the reason why medical students are able to retain such an enormous amount of information with apparent ease.
- Connect and make friends for life with other young people from across the world who are also pursuing a career in medicine.
- Increase your chances of being successfully accepted and in a premedical course and later on in medical school.
- Get information and guidance on a variety of medical/healthcare careers.
- Make perfectly sure that a career in medicine/healthcare is meant for you.
Would you like to see the proposed 2017 Camp Program Schedule
Dr. Dexter M. Frederick, MD
Internal Medicine, Pediatrics – Director BEST Academy
Dr. Anton Scheepers | Practicing Maxillofacial and Oral Surgeon, Developer of The Apprentice Doctor training resources and founder of The Apprentice Corporation
The 2014, 2015 and 2016 Brain Bowl Competition was an amazing challenge and great fun! We will expand on this concept in 2017!
Brain Bowl Competition 2015 – a competition including the Apprentice Doctors (blue scrubs), the B.E.S.T. group (maroon) and the A.H.E.C South FL, Group (white tops)- 60 students taking part in this event sponsored by the PA school of USF – GREAT FUN!!
See what it’s like to attend our premedical camp:
Apply early to avoid disappointment!
The B.E.S.T. Apprentice Doctor® Program accepts day students only. Students from outside the Tampa area will have to arrange their own accommodation. We will offer a list of nearby accommodation options soon.
Tuition Fees: $950 (including the Future Doctors Kit and various medical items)
I would recommend this camp to anyone interested in the medical field.
Dr Anton really knew his stuff and was a great teacher. The hands-on activities and field trips were all fun.
Get the feeling of real med school.
I would recommend this camp to anyone interested in pursuing a career in any medical field.
This camp is a great way to gain information in a short period of time. Great activities and the doctors are excellent!
I learned a lot and was more encouraged to keep my mind on my medical career.
Dr Anton was an especially superb teacher. I enjoyed his vast amount of knowledge, and all the information I learned during camp.
The camp was very interesting. I learned about a lot of new tools and techniques used in the field of medicine, I also learned a lot of new vocabulary for parts of the body.
Regardless of current knowledge, if you are interested in the medical field you will enjoy this interactive process at the apprentice doctor camp.
The Apprentice Doctor® was a fun experience that allowed me to learn more about the medical field.
Getting into Medical school is highly competitive!
The days of getting into medical school with only top grades to offer are forever gone – students need to load their resume with a lot more – they must convince the selection committee that they are REALLY serious about becoming a doctor by adding the extras that will distinguish them from the average applicant.
Prof Andrew Mason – Selection committee various Med Schools
The quality of the workshop and the resources that you provide and the passion that you clearly bring to the activity have all resulted in an exceptionally high level of positive feedback from the schools that have participated in the workshop.
David Kramer, Chief Executive Officer, Discovery Science Center, Newtown, SA
Contact us – kindly use the Contact Us Form on the bottom of this page.
Camp tuition includes the use of various medical instruments and items for the following workshops:
- Scrub for Surgery
- Suture Wounds
- Pulse Oximetry
- Blood pressure